Friday, November 22, 2013

After Open Heart Surgery:Lingering Questions

To recap and update previous posts in this series,I am a patient with heart valve disease.Having had my mitral valve surgically repaired during open heart surgery in May,2011,perhaps that would be it,I thought.They did a good sewing job.I might be cured.Now,two and a half years later,that is clearly not the case.The disease process is still at work.There is residual mild to moderate blood leakage backward across the valve,a condition called mitral valve regurgitation.What is more,something new has gone wrong.The valve leaflets have stiffened,narrowing the valve opening and impeding blood flow.This is called mitral valve stenosis,and went from being mild to moderate over the course of a year.My upper left heart chamber,the left atrium,is moderately dilated,or enlarged,from the resulting pressure build-up.So I present with moderately abnormal heart function.
Complications of severe stenosis can be life threatening,including blood clots;atrial fibrillation;congestive heart failure;pulmonary edema;and pulmonary hypertension.That's the scary part.
So far,the situation is manageable with my current medication of an ACE inhibitor;a beta blocker;and an anticoagulant-baby aspirin.We are following a course of medication and monitoring.Should things worsen further from moderate to severe,other options are available.Sometimes a balloon valvuloplasty is performed,in which a balloon is attached to a catheter and threaded up to the valve through a blood vessel in an arm or leg.There,it is inflated to widen the valve.This may not be appropriate in my case,however,since I have regurgitation as well as stenosis.
A second option for relieving stenosis is a surgical repair such as scraping any calcification from the valve leaflets,thus restoring flexibility.In the end,most stenosis patients requiring surgery undergo a valve replacement,either with a natural or mechanical valve.
Even as I'm writing this,I'm having an optical migraine-a slight visual disturbance I have experienced since my surgery.It's like a shooting star across the visual field,but it doesn't hurt,thank God.My chest scar is barely visible any more-just a little red streak at the base.There is also a strand of wire embedded in my chest,and I swear it stings a bit to this day.
When I first read about the stenosis progression in my test reports,I got depressed for about an hour.Then my resilience kicked in and I am accepting things as they are.At least there are concrete steps we can take if things get really bad.It's not getting off scot-free,but it's better than having no options.
What causes heart valve disease?It's not caused by lifestyle,but rheumatic fever,a complication of strep throat,is a major cause of heart valve damage that may take years to manifest.Another possible cause is a congenital defect that,again,could take years to become apparent.Calcium deposits accumulating on the valve with age may also be at work.There are other rare causes such as side effects of radiation therapy or certain medications.
Your basline health does have a great impact on how you weather any treatment required,so clean living is highly recommended for these patients.










\\\\\

No comments: