Friday, May 11, 2012

After Open Heart Surgery:Some Reflections at the One Year Mark

My seven-inch long scar from open heart surgery has all but disappeared a year after the event.Just a little red streak remains at the bottom two inches of the scar.The crusty effect vanished long ago.Between the scar and my belly button,the two chest drain slits are still visible,not entirely filled in.When I bend over,I can still feel the wire embedded permanently in my chest that held my split sternum together.It stings a bit.I think the way things have settled in is a tribute to the surgeon's skill. The optical migraines that manifested themselves after surgery,which are brief visual disturbances,still occur on a daily basis in the form of fireflies or meteorites.This doesn't hinder me;it's just a little reminder.There are also occasional heart palpitations,but they have been determined to be harmless. At times of exertion,my heart can pound quite hard and fast-not something I really want to happen,as it may stress the heart valve repair.If my heart starts pounding that way,I ease up immediately.One is not scot-free for the rest of one's life by any means.You're not going to just forget about it;indeed,it would be dangerous to do so.Constant informal and formal monitoring are the order of your life's day. In my particular case,there was a small amount of residual valvular leakage.This bears special attention over the years ahead.It can reduce event-free long term survival. All in all,I don't regret having the surgeon repair my heart to the best of his great ability.It surely has given me a second chance for as long as clinically possible with the disease process in question.

1 comment:

Scott Loessin said...

You have posted a very nice post related to open heart surgery related facts. Well its good to know about the after surgery reflations that one should have to suffer. I really gained some knowledge from this post.
Scott Loessin