Monday, April 26, 2021

Sanofi Helps Moderna - plus my vaccine experience

Pharma titan Sanofi announced it will help Moderna manufacture as many as 200 million doses of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine.Sanofi attributes its effort to US President Joe Biden's encouragement.The French firm will perform the fill and finish function on the messenger RNA vaccine at a New Jersey plant, putting the completed vaccines into vials and packaging them.* Moderna is presently testing a booster for the vaccine at half-strength (50 micrograms).A yearly booster for the vaccine looks like a good possibility for approval in the months ahead.* I received my first of two doses of the Moderna vaccine at a Maryland doctor's office.It was administered by a young woman in green scrubs.She did a good job,as I hardly felt the injection at all.Following the shot,I had to sit twenty minutes in the waiting room.Then a front desk person asked how I was feeling and I told her there was no problem. By the time I got back to my room,my arm was getting sore.This increased to moderate soreness by nightfall.A hot shower gave considerable relief to my arm. The next day, I was still sore and had become moderately nauseated as well.I was also very fatigued.These symptoms continued through the next day, although at a lesser level.By the third day after my vaccination,I was back to normal. The strength of my reaction to the shot surprised me.It was my strongest reaction to a vaccine in my whole life.Usually I just have a mildly sore arm.This moderate illness was good news, however, since it showed my immune system was galvanised by the shot into fighting its perceived SARS-CoV-2 enemy, the respiratory virus that causes the COVID-19 illness.There are no virus particles in the Moderna vaccine.It is basically a head fake to get your immune system to recognise and attack the SARS-CoV-2 virus, should it enter your body.So I will see how my second shot goes 28 days after the first one,God willing.* Sanofi stock was up 0.24 (.47%) and Moderna stock was up 4.70 (2.71%) as of this writing.* Sanofi SA (SNY), Moderna Inc (MRNA)

No comments: