Monday, April 25, 2016

Fed Banker Sympathetic to Savers

One of this week's economic highlights is the Federal Reserve Open Market Committee meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday to decide on whether to raise interest rates.*
I think that we are going to see an inflation increase going forward,said James Bullard,President of the Federal Reserve Bank of St.Louis and an FOMC member.There's been a longtime disconnect between what the market thinks the Fed is going to do and what it actually does,Mr.Bullard cautioned.I'm not sure why we have to have this constant disconnect.Not only have we moved at meetings;we've also moved at inter-meetings.We reserve the right to move at any time.*
I felt that quantitative easing was pretty effective in the US.If we had to go back to that tool,I think we could do it.I feel that our toolbox is not nearly as empty as some seem to describe it.*
I think we should be able to tolerate mild overshoot:2.2 inflation is probably better than 1.5.I do think that it's a tragedy of sorts that we talk about borrowers and forget about savers.We want to do better in terms of equilibrium in the market instead of always borrowing from the future,Mr.Bullard told Bloomberg Radio.*
The Wall Street consensus is,the Fed won't raise rates at this meeting.

No comments: