Monday, March 2, 2015

Major League Baseball Updates Itself-plus Alex Rodriguez returns

Our new pace of play rules show the game is trying to be responsive to what we're hearing from our fans,said Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred to reporters at his spring training news conference.I certainly want to stop the trend of increasing length of the game.I'm hoping to have game lengths that begin with a two,rather than a three.Among the new rules are:
1.The manager should request replays from the dugout,either verbally or by hand signal,and within 20-30 seconds after the umpire's call.
2.The batter must keep his feet in the batter's box at all times-no more wandering around between pitches.
3.Play will resume promptly after TV commercial breaks.
I have said repeatedly that pace of play is going to be an ongoing evolution.Youth will continue to be a focus of ours going forward.We need to make sure that all kinds of kids are engaging in the game at an early age.Youth participation is the single biggest determinant of the avidity of a fan.We see the issues of attracting a younger audience and the pace of the game as being interrelated.You have to enhance the fan experience with technology,because tech is what holds their attention most completely.
As to Alex Rodriguez returning to the New York Yankees after his suspension for using performance enhancing drugs,I am anxious to see the focus be on how he performs on the field.We've had enough focus on Alex Rodriguez's activities off the field.
We're really nowhere with our preferences and priorities about the lack of offense issue,becuase we aren't sure we have a problem yet.
We did not have a single serious collision at home plate instance all of last season,and from my point of view,that's a success.
What I believe about the Oakland Athletics is that the A's need a new stadium.I don't believe the stadium they're playing in,Oakland Coliseum,is of major league quality.I have not had talks with the A's-including the Fisher family-indicating that I would like to see that happen as quickly as possible.*
Alex Rodriguez reported to spring training early.I made a mistake,A-Rod told reporters at the Yankees training camp.I served a big penalty personally and professionally.I feel good.Right now I'm just focusing on making this team.What it reminds me of is,when I was 18 years-old trying to make Lou Pinella's team.

No comments: