Thursday, March 15, 2012

Outdoor Secondhand Smoke Also Harmful

At a recent check-up,I was asked by a nurse if I was exposed to passive smoke.I had to admit I was,as the neighbor's cigarette smoke often wafts over to me through their windows when I'm outdoors or they're smoking outdoors.It makes me wheeze a bit.
Indeed,a 2007 study at Stanford University showed that harmful substances were also being transmitted by secondhand smoke outdoors,as well as indoors.Obviously,if it irritates your lungs outdoors,it's doing some degree of harm.
Frankly,it appears that smoking isn't safe anywhere-indoors or out.That is the tragedy of recent reports that teens are still smoking avidly,in spite of the educational efforts of several decades.
A new TV campaign with graphic images of cancer patients is getting underway.Some teens responded with scepticism as to how effective they would be.People will still think it will never happen to them,one girl remarked.
Pfizer's Chantix habit-breaking medication is also being widely advertised.It may be worth looking into for those with prescription coverage or who can otherwise afford it.It is said to allow you to keep smoking in the early phase of treatment.
Pfizer(PFE)

No comments: