Thursday, June 16, 2011

After Open Heart Surgery,Part 2:Problems and Progress

Six weeks out from conventional open heart surgery,the 7-inch incision is still prominent.It continues to sting a little.I still stop to think before I do anything strenuous.
The visual disturbances have receded quite a bit.Only the meteoric illusion remains,which looks like meteorites streaking across your field of view.The double vision and blind spots,or eclipse effect,have been absent for some time.
As well,my taste buds have recovered significantly-at least to 90% of their former aptitude.True,most of the post-op medication has run out or been canceled because of sinus bradycardia.That is,my heart was beating way too slowly.Its rate was down into the 40s.Now it is up to the 50s.
I am able to drive short distances.I can also do grocery shopping,although this resulted in near-exhaustion.There is clearly a way to go on this involved journey.
The cardiologist on my surgical team informed me that,although my heart is working much better than before the operation,there was some residual leakage shown on the transesophageal echocardiogram,a scan in which an ultrasound probe is sent down the anesthetized patient's throat for a close examination of the heart in the operating room,both before and after surgery.
In short,it appears to me,at this point,that the mitral valve repair was not 100% successful.This is a relatively rare occurrence,affecting only a fraction of the repair patients.A transthoracic echocardiogram,which is externally administered,has been scheduled for a further assessment.
Another chapter in the medical annals unfolds.I had some time ago realized you are a heart patient for life-to a greater or lesser extent,depending upon the individual circumstances.It need not be depressing;it's just the challenge you've been
given.It's a part of your new job description while you are on this earth.

1 comment:

Guantes De Latex said...

This is a good blog about health. I am really eager to read with this type of blogs.